Monday, August 18, 2014

Replacing the Top of Baby Brothers Dresser & a Peek into the Nursery!

Yes, I know this dresser is a sight for sore eyes, but there is hope!  
I love all the details around the sides and look at those cute legs!! 
(secretly I wished people would say that about my legs ;) )

A dresser this cute can't be left behind!


I was hoping I could rip off the top layer of veneer and find an beautiful piece of wood...but I wasn't so lucky.  After many wasted hours I finally gave in and took the entire top off!!  I had seen many people replace tops, and it seemed easy enough, I had just never done it before so I was a bit hesitant to jump right in!  

I was planning to use pine planks and set them close enough to each other to help close any gaps, UNTIL...I found this awesome product at Lowes.

It is a pine panel that is already jointed together for you, all you have to do it cut it down to size.

After the top was cut down to size, I used Dark Walnut Stain by Minwax to stain the pine as I wanted it dark.  Once the stain dried I applied glue to the dresser and underside of the new top and placed it on the dresser.  Once it was in place I used my finish nailer to nail all 4 corners to give it added strength! 


And TADA.....His dresser is done and in use!  And yes we made sure to fill it up!!


I love how rich the top is against the green dresser!  

I sprayed the entire dresser and then I used a tintable oil based glaze.  Glazing is one of my favorite parts of refinishing furniture it can make or break any piece.  When done right glaze adds so much depth to a piece, it helps accent all the details and brings so much character!






I am so happy with how this dresser turned out, it is just perfect for Baby Brothers nursery!  

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have time to paint! This trasformation is fantastic. I hope he's settling in well and the girls are in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You just saved me. I have had 2 dressers waiting for tops because I ran into the same problem with laminate tops. I have never seen this product till now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...