Yes, I know this dresser is a sight for sore eyes, but there is hope!
I love all the details around the sides and look at those cute legs!!
(secretly I wished people would say that about my legs ;) )
A dresser this cute can't be left behind!
I was hoping I could rip off the top layer of veneer and find an beautiful piece of wood...but I wasn't so lucky. After many wasted hours I finally gave in and took the entire top off!! I had seen many people replace tops, and it seemed easy enough, I had just never done it before so I was a bit hesitant to jump right in!
I was planning to use pine planks and set them close enough to each other to help close any gaps, UNTIL...I found this awesome product at Lowes.
It is a pine panel that is already jointed together for you, all you have to do it cut it down to size.
After the top was cut down to size, I used Dark Walnut Stain by Minwax to stain the pine as I wanted it dark. Once the stain dried I applied glue to the dresser and underside of the new top and placed it on the dresser. Once it was in place I used my finish nailer to nail all 4 corners to give it added strength!
And TADA.....His dresser is done and in use! And yes we made sure to fill it up!!
I love how rich the top is against the green dresser!
I sprayed the entire dresser and then I used a tintable oil based glaze. Glazing is one of my favorite parts of refinishing furniture it can make or break any piece. When done right glaze adds so much depth to a piece, it helps accent all the details and brings so much character!
I am so happy with how this dresser turned out, it is just perfect for Baby Brothers nursery!