Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Painted High Chair

This cute wood high chair is my mom's.  She had tried to paint it a few too many times, 4 to be exact. You can see it was blue, green, white and cream.  I supposed that is one of the great things about a wood high chair, if you get sick of it just paint it again. 
 I wanted to use it for my little boy's first birthday, but it wasn't looking so great.  I was hoping to take it home sand it up and give it a fresh new coat of paint.  After about 10 minutes of sanding the paint was balling up and creating lumps....eeek....I hate it when that happens.  I decided to pull out the stripper and start all over.  

This is the picture after I got it all stripped down, a much better starting point


I used my paint sprayer to paint it cream, I like to use Valspars Optimus.  You can buy this type of Valspar at Ace Hardware.  I was a little skeptical to use Valspar but I love the coverage and how it sprays through my sprayer!  It has also been a very durable latex paint.





After it was sprayed I used a sander to sand the edges.  Most of the time I just use elbow grease and 150 grit sand paper to distress my pieces, but I wanted this piece to be a little more distressed to really show all the details.  using a sander can also help to hid any flaws a piece has.  Once it was all distressed I added my glaze to all the sanded areas and let it sink in to achieve the rich color around the edges.  
I also rubbed it lightly on the rest of the chair to make it look worn.  



And...I couldn't help but show off this cute horse!  How cute is he?


My neighbor let me borrow him for the photo shoot and I was tempted to just keep him!  


TTFN

Brooke

You can follow me here:
 photo instagram_zps88445fe4.png  photo fb_zps5d3a02b1.png  photo twitter_zpsb5c638e9.png  photo pinterest_zps0cdb4597.png

Linking here









1 comment:

  1. What a special piece of nursery furniture!
    It looks simply perfect with the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...