Friday, October 3, 2014

Saying Goodbye to an Our Dining Room Table.

I must confess I get attached to my furniture. Each piece I refinish always has a story, whether it is how I got the piece or how I refinished it or even the problems I ran into along the way (which happens all of too often). This table is no exception, this was the first table we picked up to refinish and sell.  As you can see I fell in LOVE with it and we have used it for the last 3 years.  



When I originally painted this table I used Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.  I loved how easy it went on and the smooth results it gave.  After I waxed and buffed it we moved it in to be used.  Things were going great until my daughter spilled red punch all over the table, I quickly clean it up, but unfortunately it was too late, the top of the table was stained.  I sanded it down and repainted it again with chalk paint, thinking that the wax wasn't durable enough I thought I would try sealing the chalk paint with Poly Acrylic to prevent this from happening again.  Much to my dismay the same thing happened again.  My conclusion, chalk paint, while it is a great paint, isn't the best choice for a highly used piece of furniture.  

I have now sanded down the entire table for the 3rd time (I am getting good at this) and sprayed it with a latex paint.  I don't have a name for this cream as it is a paint match.  After I painted this I sealed it with a spar urethane so there is no more red punch stains.  On a side note, I have boycotted the red punch around here now, it is to blame for WAY too many stains!  I am sure many of you Mom's out there can agree with me!



The chairs have always been painted with latex, the blue is Modern Blue by Pratt and Lambert and the Yellow is a custom color too so I don't have a paint name for it.  I know I know I am bad.  
This table is up For Sale, so if you are in the Salt Lake City, Utah area check it out on my Furniture For Sale Tab at the top of the page!!

TTFN

Brooke

4 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful table! I agree with you, chalk paint is not meant for all surfaces, nor is wax. Heavy usage needs more protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your table! I am surprised to hear you say that chalk paint and wax didn't work on your table--3 years for me and everything is still fine. Believe me me with 4 kids someone is always at the table and spilling on it too ;) Sorry you didn't have good luck. Just adore the table though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is absolutely lovely! And those chairs... I'm too timid to try different colors like that but I love it! Would love to invite you to link up with us at our party on my blog please :) Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of chalk painted furniture. Some are very high use pieces. They have worn beautifully, However, I used Johnson's paste was and an electric car buffer to crate a hard finish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...