Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY Drop Cloth Rug

Here is a sneak peak at my dining area {it isn't actually a room}

I could not be happier with how this drop cloth rug turned out.  
I love the old look and I love how it wrinkles!


One of the best parts about this rug is if it gets dirty you just throw it in the washer...I have already had to do that twice!
This rug does move a lot.  I would suggest either taping it to the floor...I believe they have a rug tape or gluing the rubber pads to the bottom just so it stays in place better.  It is perfect for under the table as the table and chairs help to hold it in place.

I LOVE THIS RUG I would make one again!

Want to make your own?

I took pictures of me making it...but do you think I can find them?  Of course not so I will try to explain it very well!

First you need a drop cloth.  I bought mine at Home Depot it is 6ft x 9ft I think it was about $10.
Next I laid it out on the floor and made a template.  To make my template I used cardboard and cut a long 3 inch wide strip.

I taped off my corner with blue tape and then I placed the cardboard right next to the outside edge of the blue tape and then ran blue tape down the other side of the cardboard to create my strips.

Once the whole rug was taped out I painted with latex paint (Dansbury Downs by Pratt and Lambert) every other strip!

Once it was dried I threw it in the washer and TA DA!!  You have a beautiful unique rug!  For only about $10!

10 comments:

  1. Wow!! I have been looking for a couple of rugs, so I am going to HAVE to try this one!! Will be really glad to pics when done!! Thanks for sharing!! (and the idea!! I am sooo going to use!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rug! Did you know that you can use starch and they stiffen right up:)Love your work so much! Deidre http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's a great idea as I want to make this also.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this great idea, I'd love to try this for our kichen.

      Delete
  3. Yours looks fabulous! This is going to be so great in my studio! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful I will definitely try this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is an old post so I hope you get this but where do you buy the plain basic rug like that one that you painted? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...