Friday, June 19, 2015

An Upholstered French Chair and a Pleated Skirt

I bought these chairs years ago at the DI (a local thrift store) for $5 a piece.  The caning on the back of the far one was destroyed but I decided to take a chance on them.  After all if worse came to worse I was only out $10.  I looked up how to fix caning, I quickly learned I wouldn't be fixing it.
  I would have to come up with some other idea to cover up the caning.  


I decided to upholster over the top of it!


I left the caning on the chairs for added support and I added batting to the front and back.  I used a $10 drop cloth I bought at Ace Hardware for the fabric.  I have loved working with drop cloths.  They are very durable and a great cost saving option.  





I have always loved the look of upholstered chairs but they are not the best idea with little kids.  I decided to make a pleated slip cover to go over the top of the cushion, that way if something gets spilled on them I can throw it in the washer.  


I have one more chair finish up and then I will show you the whole table!




TTFN

Brooke

You can follow me here:
 photo instagram_zps88445fe4.png  photo fb_zps5d3a02b1.png  photo twitter_zpsb5c638e9.png  photo pinterest_zps0cdb4597.png

My dresser turned bench has been entered into a Competition on Bob Vila .....
I NEED YOUR VOTE!!

You can vote HERE it will only take a few seconds!!
Thank you








3 comments:

  1. Great idea to upholster over the caning. I have passed up damaged caning before, but I will keep it in mind from here on out. P.S. I got my vote in for your dresser re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Brooke, those chairs are so pretty! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slip covers turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...